Monday, May 10, 2010

Who asked for advice?

I had a particularly frustrating discussion with my business advisor/mentor yesterday. Frustrating because I wasn't prepared for the questions he was asking about a new business I'm formulating. Why didn't I have the answers? Because the idea is still so new you virtually can see its umbilical cord, and I'm not sure I'm ready to set it off into the big wide world on its own.
It's something every small business owner feels when they're about to step into a new venture or product line. New business always comes with expectations, worries and dreams. Facing them can be daunting.
So a word of advice about advice: to make it work, you have to be clear from the word go about your expectations. I run through this Question 7 of The Small Business Success Guide ("Where do I look for advice and how much will it cost?"), so you'd think I would know!
Be clear on the outcomes you want, and the time frame you want these to happen in. And go into any discussion about your business armed with all your information.
It'll save you a stack of frustration.
Margie

No comments:

Post a Comment